About Us The Church of the Holy Family is a Roman Catholic Church of the Diocese of Syracuse, New York located just five miles west of downtown Syracuse in Fairmount, New York.
In 1930 a plot of land was purchased in Fairmount by Bishop Daniel Curley for future use as a worship site. In 1935 the Rev. Richard J. Lynch became the first mission pastor of the new mission church of Holy Family. In the early days of Holy Family Mass was celebrated at Green Gate Inn in the dining room and above what used to be Kauhl Grocery Store, not far from the current site.
On January 7, 1940 Bishop Forey dedicated the new Holy Family Church (now referred to as the old church as it was demolished in 1996 for the current church). On December 23, 1941 The Church of the Holy Family received its official certificate of incorporation and on January 3, 1946, Fr. Michael E. Lyons was appointed the first resident pastor at Holy Family. A new rectory was completed in 1947 for the resident pastor and priests.
As the surrounding area of Fairmount became more populated, so too did the parish. In 1951 the new convent was opened (now the parish offices), on September 15, 1952 the Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes was dedicated, and on September 2, 1958 Bishop Forey blessed the new school building prior to its opening. From the 1960's through the 1990's the Fairmount area saw considerable growth. The size of the parish had more than doubled and the need for a new church building to accommodate more people and more ministries was needed. On March 21, 1997 the current Holy Family Church was dedicated with the ability to seat nearly 1,200 people.
From the construction of the new church until the present Holy Family Church has continued to grow and flourish. Ministries have been established to help support and grow the Church in its mission to bring the Gospel to all people. In 2009 the Daughters of St. Mary of Providence came to Holy Family to begin their ministry in the life of the parish and catechesis to people with disabilities. The John Paul II Center for Women, The Gianna Clinic, and Elizabeth Ministries located at Holy Family help families to live out their holiness by recognizing the sanctity of human life, the value of Sacred Scripture and Tradition, and reaching out to those in need. Holy Family is the largest parish in the Diocese of Syracuse and building on its name - 'Church of the Holy Family'- strives to be a place where people can truly see and experience the goodness of the Holy Family of Nazareth - Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Holy Family Church is a loving family that welcomes all!